My Latest Movies (November 2022)

Hi!
I noticed I haven´t written about movies in a while. It´s a shame - I think about them, read about them and even work on them most of the time. I wish I had a camera, so I could do more than screenplays, but the last time I tried to actually shoot one, it ended up being cursed. Like, actually cursed. It ended friendships, relationships and even equipment.
Those are not recommendations, just thoughs.

Bad Influence (1990)

The only gif I found

This is probably one of the most mediocre films I have ever seen. It was not bad, or good, just something between and mainly boring. Most of times, sometimes it was funny in unintentional way ("Has someone ever told you you look funny when you come?") 
It´s rather surprising, as this movie combines elements of American Psycho ("Did I do that? :0), Fight Club (woobie´s ideal of a man helps him find his way in life, only to turn out to be screwed up in a way), and even Strangers on a Train a little bit. Sadly, it didn´t manage to actually make us care even a little bit for those characters, or to do something provocative. Instead, it points at big bad and leaves nothing to think about, outside of the question why. Why was this film made? Did it have anything to say? Had Lowe´s character obsessive crush on our main "hero"? 
We will never know. But I think it had some potential. 

Unforgiven (1992) 


My dad loves westerns. And action flicks. Basically anything with some violence in it, or maybe it has something to do with action choreography. I´m not sure. Either way, it shaped my taste in films. 
The first western I enjoyed was Django (1966, not 2012). My favorite one is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. But I would lie if this wasn´t the best one I have seen. 
Not only is the camera gorgeous, acting great and everything else is totally awesome. It´s the peak of the western genre. Every minute pays off in some way, none of the characters is black-or-white caricature and by the end, you don´t know if there´s any actually good guy. I don´t think there´s any, just abunch of broken myths and tropes.
Even if the script was in development hell for around 20 years, Clint Eastwood picked it and made it into something great. This isn´t just film, it´s message about characters we rooted for. Blondie, Django Butch Cassidy, and many, many others. Why did we root for them? They were dangerous, criminals and usually played by rather handsome actors. They also tended to have a lot of screentime. 
At the same time, it´s enjoyable to watch even if viewer is not genre savvy, though they probably wouldn´t be so extatic to see Clint Eastwood go off trails.

El Mariachi (1992)

From its sequel, but it looks cool

Yet another one of my dad´s movies. He spoiled the end of the last part of this trilogy about ten years ago for me, when he fell asleep while watching it. I, of course, remembered it. Kids tend to remember weird or violent scenes. 
I didn´t know it when I picked up this film as my Saturday Night watch. I just knew it was extremely low-budget and some guy will probably get killed by the end, in the middle and maybe even by the start. What I didn´t expect was actually liking the protagonist. He just wanted a job and got screwed over. That´s something I can relate to, having to basically run away suitcase-less from my last one.
Its story isn´t something new. It combines classic mixing-up two people and killing through the mob. When writing this, I bet Adam Sandler is already working on something similar, it does sound like that type of comedy. Except, this film is not meant to make you laugh, most of the time. Still, it´s nice a combination.
This film is raw but doesn´t try to be something it isn´t, which may be part of its magic. I will probably watch next two parts, mainly for the iconic soundtrack, but I liked the independent narm charm vibe El Mariachi gave off.


Well, it seems like I watched a lot of violent early 90s American films. I wanted to try some Art House from other continents, but I like crafting while watching films and those flicks are best for it.
Honestly, Unforgiven was the biggest surprise of this bunch, even if I really like Eastwood´s work. I love him as an actor and respect him endlessly as a director.
If I ever got a chance to actually turn any of my screenplays into a movie, I would probably sell my soul to have it produced or directed by him. Hell, even if he agreed just to have a cameo, I would probably build a cathedral or something :D. 

Comments