Primavera aka How I Fell for Spring in Summer

 I have never been fond of Rennesaince. It´s the mixture of boring architecture, bashing of the Gothic era  and simping for everything ancient, that made me roll my eyes whenever someone came with it being the best time for art, science, or anything else. With my friends, we even made Vasari hate club. 
Now that I am older, I don´t hate this period. Not that I started to love it, either, but I don´t feel the need to call every symmetrical building "fokin terrible". With that, I found a way to those wonderful artists and their pieces. 

One time, in order to have something to work for (I almost lost my mind in the kitchen), I browsed the Duchess Milianda e-shop. It´s EU based indie brand, which makes a lot od art prints. Have you ever dreamed of carrying your favourite painting everywhere with you? Well, this is your brand. There even some historical gowns, but we are not here for analysis. 
I stumbled upon Primavera dress and sudenly, I fell in love. 

 
There is something about the elegant cut, along with dreamy colours and clean minimal design. It´s kind of like the 1950s Dior. For me, this is a piece that is truly statement. Just a few ivory or light orange/red accesories and shoes, and I would be happy
I can imagine many ways of wearing this dress, which is pretty much a win situation, sometimes I can´t for the life of my sister come up with any coord of my dream dress. My favorite is the impoverished aristocrat look, though that would suit Michelangelo more than Botticelli, consisting of this blouse and less funky black shoes and black headwear. Maybe I would try something OTT too, just because it seems so fun.
Also, if I got Rennesaince at maturita exams while wearing this dress, it would be an instant A. 
But why do I like Primavera so much? I mean, it´s one thing to like the dress and other to love the painting. 



Primavera, which means Spring,  is a 1480s painting by Sandro Botticelli, which can be credited for creating one of the ideals of Rennaisance beauty, but also for his original style full of melancholy, details and eternal elegance, that made his work an eye candy even after almost 600 years. 
It shows us a meadow with orange groves (symbol of family Medici), inhabited by nine figures of Greek and Roman mythology. Venus, in the center, in a white dress full of details, also described as "only gold and light", painted as a typical Botticellis´ ideal woman, with her son Amor flying over her, ready to target one of the Three Graces. They are sisters, wearing robes so fine they are almost undressed. They dance, as they are goddesses of everything charming and beautiful. No wonder they became Venus´ company.
Next to them stands Mercury, a god associated with Medicis. He chases away dark clouds of Winter. Through the way one of the Graces (Castitas, Chastity) looks at him, many historians assume they are meant to be couple, or at least in love. It´s to balance the brutal nature of the other pair, blue Zephyros and poor Chloris. Sometimes, it´s seen as a really rough date I think? More often, it´s seen as attempted rape. Zephyros is often depicted as the calmest of the Winds, but at the same time, we usually see him not taking no as an answer. For example, Hyacyntus. Woman standing next to them is a kind of mystery, but it´s probably Flora. After Zephyros' terrible crime, Chloris evolves into her. Or Zephyros makes her become Flora, because he regrets his action. 
Fun fact, at those times, newlywed couples often received a picture of some famous rape as a gift. It played into the narrative of women never wanting to have coitus, and men always wanting to have one. It probably had something to do with love for classic myths and Ovidius, too. I also see that as the only reason why Boccacio became a famous writer. 

It´s much more than just a pretty painting, as Primavera carries heavy symbolism. There are many ways of interpreting this piece that even after all this time, experts are coming with new ideas. I think it´s great. 
Still, there are some readings that are deemed to be true. One of them is political, showing us Medici´s power, but also their internal fights. It was even used by Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco (coming after death of Lorenzo I., end of Piero de Medici´s reign, and excommunication of Fra Giraloma, all of which happened in the span of like 6 years) as personal propaganda. 
One can´t blame him, as you can see, it was dramatic period for everyone willing to rule Firenze. 
I like the theory about characters being personified towns/city states. Cupid is Rome, as it is anagram of name Amor. Firenze, city of flowers, is beautiful majestic Flora. Mercury is Milan, Venus embodies Mantua, Chloris stands for Bolzano and Zephyros for Venezia, and Three Graces for Genoa, Napoli and Pisa. Usually, this painting is seen as an allegory for love, but this was, love is compared to alliances - it can change pretty quickly. While I do not see this as very probably one, I like the creativity.
Another one is that Mercury was modeled after Lorenzo I.s´ brother, Giuliano, while stand in for Venus was Simonetta Vespucci. Those two  are speculated to be lovers. Simonetta is also said to be The one love for Botticelli, one that he has never recovered from. 
Of course, it´s also allegory of Spring and and, citing Wikipedia "but it is generally agreed that at least at one level the painting is "an elaborate mythological allegory of the burgeoning fertility of the world.""

So, why do I love this painting? Usually, more modern things catch my eye. And also more graphic ones, like my beloved Toulouse-Lautrec.
I think it´s because of the muted colours with the coat of mystery. Also, strong stylization may help it. I do enjoy realistic works, but ones with strong personal style suit my eye better. Botticelli made world with charming characters, full of gentle features, and beautiful sceneries. Da Vinci said he cannot paint nature, or sceneries at all, but I don´t agree on this one.

Have a nice day, hope you aren´t confused from my writing. 

Comments