Movies March 2022

 Hello!
The biggest love of my lousy life is film. Yeah, even bigger than lolita or gyaru, or anything else. I would be happy in any era, in any part of world, as long as I could work in film industry. So I would be happy in any time of 20th century :D. As a guy. Or exceptionally talented/beautiful woman. There is just something magical about fact that you can lie in you bed, in pajama and a coffee, and then bum! You are in a New York party. All because of some moving pictures.
As such, I think I should write about movies I have seen this march, just because I have nothing better to do. Those are not all of them, maybe not even the best, but I still think some of you may enjoy them.

Der Himmel über Berlin
I refuse to use that dumb English name, I just can´t. It makes this beautiful piece of art look cheesy, ale I do love cheesy, but not with this. In other words:
Der Himmel über Berlin is the most famous work of Wim Wenders, a great German director, and follows an angel Damiel in 80s Berlin. He is unsatisfied, as he can see everything, hear everything, but can´t really experience life. It´s emphasized with the stunning black-and-white camera, which can show us the distance between Damiel and a real life. 
Even though it´s a german film, you can recognize some faces, like Bruno Ganz (who also played one of the best known Hitlers, in that famous meme scene), or Peter Falk, also known as Columbo, who plays himself in this masterpiece of a movie.
And if you really refuse to try anything artsy and European, which I get, then there is also a remake with Nic Cage.

Django Unchained
One of the coolest film (with Boondock Saints) I have ever seen in my life. And all because of that ending and some other scenes, as this film follows a former slave played by Jamie Foxx trying to get back his wife by a) killing slave masters with Christoph Waltz, b) later infiltrating a house in which she "works".
Beginning references 1966 western Django, my absolute favorite in this genre, and you can see western techniques in both camera and some important scenes. Also, Franco Nero, the original Django, shows for a while, which shows that Tarantino, as always, took his style and inspiration the farthest it was even possible. You have to love that devotion. 

Showdown in Little Tokyo
This really isn´t very smart film, but if you want something light, with a lot of neon, some naked chicks (and guys), that doesn´t try to redeem its villain, this is a good flick. You will get Dolph Lundgren, playing an American that mastered Japanese culture, which is weirdly funny, looking all cool and big, trying not to be too gay with Brandon Lee. To this day, I don´t know why they have to talk about his...ehm... parts, but that´s the beauty of this movie. It can be really fun when nobody is dying. 


How tall can he be? I just searched it 1,96 meters. I can say only :0.

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari
That character looks cool but spooky. Pale skin, eyes as if Morpheus didn´t visit them for the past month, and hair, where do I even begin with hair? They are dark and messy, which looks bad on normal people, but it suits them, as it is weirdly fitting. Fuck it, they might be even hot. 
This trope is named Looks Like Cesare, and is named about Cesare, which is shown by Dr. Caligari for some money as a magic trick, as he can tell future. And for other things, too. If you never feel scarred while watching new horrors, you might give a try. Those practical effects and old camera make a lot of change, which is amazing, given that this is maybe the first horror film. 
The whole movie is on Youtube, and it would be good to watch at least 5 minutes.  


Darjeeling Limited
It was hard to choose only one Wes Anderson film, but what could I tell you? I would always talk about same things, which is how stunning they are, and how it is full of lonely people who feel out of touch with real world because that seems to be Anderson´s favorite theme. And mine too.
Darjeeling follows three brothers, Adrian Brody, Jason Schwartzman, and Owen Wilson, going to India (on various levels of enthusiasm) on a spiritual journey. We can see, why they aren´t so close now, why they even left their normal lives and let´s face it, why they don´t have many healthy relationships. It´s funny, but also sad, with beautiful sountrack that I want on cd and vinyl so I can listen to it before going to sleep. 
For me, this film is special. I wrote the first version of my now-in-work film while watching this. 


I don´t think I was too experimental this month. I have seen das Himmel for the second time and rest of the films was on my list for a long time, so I guess it may be kinda boring list. on the oher hand hey, at least I managed to watch one film that will totally be on an admission test for all the film schools, cool :D. 
Except for a Showdown, I think all these films have great aesthetics, so they will be enjoyable even if you will hate the story and the characters.

Comments